Turning 50 is definitely a milestone in one’s life. Some embrace it and gracefully head over the hill, while others drag their heels the whole way over. If you are more of the heel-dragging type, here are 5 things you should consider doing before the big Five O. Try to view this as a positive life-changing experience rather than panicking and doing all of those things that are oh so typical.
- Reconnect. Reconnect with a long lost friend. Who is one person in your life that even though you haven’t spoken to in forever still crosses your mind? There’s no better time than now to make up for the lost years. Don’t let another moment pass by before you let them know how much they mean to you.
- Explore. Explore a new land. What are you waiting for! Take that trip, visit that city, go to that place you’ve been meaning to get to for years and haven’t made the time! Now is that time.
- Conquer. Conquer a fear. For some, this may mean the extremes. The obvious jumping out of a plane, hiking Mt. Everest, paragliding, bungee jumping…(you get the picture). While for others, this may be as simple as riding your first roller coaster or running a marathon. Whatever your fear is, just take that leap…what do you have to lose?
- Learn. Learn something new. Engage your brain and feel years younger. This may be learning another language, musical instrument, painting, etc. Find something that interests you and dive in. You’ll feel great about your new accomplishment.
- Give. Do a good deed, there’s no better reward in life than contributing to the lives of others. Do something kind for someone that doesn’t except it. Sponsor a child in another less fortunate country, help the elderly, plan a special date for your significant other, feed the hungry, donate to charity. Think outside the box, and come up with a creative way to help someone in need.
So there you have it, a few suggestions on how to turn a potentially terrifying moment into an awe-inspiring life changing event. However, there are also a few things I would advise steering clear of.
- Trade In. Don’t trade in that wife of yours for a younger version that most likely has ulterior motives. Gentlemen, the grass isn’t greener on the other side! And if it is…water your own lawn! See above under “Give.”
- Vroom Vroom. Don’t buy a car you can’t exactly afford, in a color that screams, “look at me!” Men, this is not a good idea. I know you want that cannery yellow drop top beauty you’ve been eyeing for some time. If you can truly afford it, I say go for it but please, not in yellow or any other obnoxious shade for that matter! Keep it classy.
- New Do. Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for changing up your style and going for a new do! But please don’t be misled to believe a ponytail at 50 is the way to go. This doesn’t take years off your look; it just looks like you may be trying too hard. Keep the style age appropriate while still changing it up. If in doubt, ask your grooming specialist her opinion or bring in a picture to see if that style would work for you.
- Tat Tat Tatted Up. Don’t get tatted or pierced. There are some exceptions to this….little to none though. If you didn’t have it at 20, it’s not any cooler at 50. In fact, its way, way less cooler. Just don’t do it!
- Clean Out The Closet. Don’t start dressing way over the top. Turning 50 is a great excuse to clean out that closest and snazzy it up a bit. However, don’t try to wear Affliction shirts or jeans that are bedazzled. This is not a good look for most men, let alone the gentleman that you already are. Instead, clean out that closet, and go for a trendy yet sophisticated look. Get some new pieces that can be mixed and matched to create a variety of outfits. Also make sure you get these tailored! Superb fitting clothing will take years off your age, and waistline! Trust me.